Sigma Gamma Epsilon
Sigma Gamma Epsilon, earth science honor society, is open to both undergraduate and graduate students. SGE promotes service to the University and the scientific community.
Visit the SGE website >>
American Association of Petroleum Geologists
The UTEP student chapter of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists works to provide educational and employment opportunities for students interested in careers in the hydrocarbon or environmental industries.
Visit the AAPG website >>
Society of Physics Stutends (SPS)
The Society of Physics Students (SPS) is a professional association explicitly designed for students. Membership in the UTEP Chapter is open to anyone on interested in physics. Within SPS is housed Sigma Pi Sigma, the national physics honor society, which elects members on the basis of outstanding academic achievement.
Visit the SPS website >>
Club Zero, UTEP's math club, is open to all students, of any major. Club Zero promotes the academic and professional growth of students interested in mathematics.
ASM Student chapter
(1)Promote student interest and further improve the quality of the Microbiology program at UTEP
(2) Promote high school student interest in microbiology and their attendance at UTEP
(3) Provide aid for students in Microbiology at the UTEP with respect to academic curriculum, research and employment
(4) Promote student participation in local, state and national ASM meetings
Our chapter meets twice a month and currently we have 81members. In all our meetings we serve food. We will advertise the Chapter activities and carry out members recruiting. We propose to continue performing the activities described below:
- Fund raisings. We do bake sales, pancake sales, rifles, distributed flyers from restaurants and other businesses and get a percentage on it; The goal is to raise enough funds to take students to the ABRCMS meeting.
- To aid the students in their career development. Workshops of curriculum development, interview skills, how to navigate in job fairs and "The life after leaving UTEP" is performed in the spring semester. The goal is to help the students to be successful in their graduate or professional school or job applications.
- Open horizons.
We bring at least 5 recruiters a year to our regular meetings to speak about graduate and summer programs, as well as other opportunities for minority students.
- Field trips. Organize trips to wineries, in which the fermentation and the whole process of producing wine are explained to the students.
- Community service. The members are actively involved in the local schools science fair and charity activities.
- ASM Chapter at UTEP. In the graduation ceremony our students' members are wearing sashes with the UTEP-ASM chapter logo. ASM UTEP student chapter participate in the organization ASM Rio Grande Branch Annual Meeting.
- ASM Chapter social. Banquet and an award ceremony, it is performed at the end of each semester; the students get awarded for their degree of participation in the chapter activities. The awards consisted in:
a) Cover the cost of registration, lodging and transportation to ABRCMS. The number of students awarded will depend of how much money we are able to raise.
b) The three more active and collegial graduating students will be awarded with a certificate and University medallion to wear in the graduation ceremony.
Know of another student organization of interest to College of Science Students? Contact us here.